Monitoring System for Garbage Collection from House Hold and Community Dustbin / Integrated Solid Waste Management System
Category : Innovative Idea Award
Brief Description of the Proposal :
Solid waste monitoring and management system is the integration of communication technologies such as RFID, GPS, GSM and GIS for truck monitoring system. In proposed system, truck database has been developed in a way that information of truck ID, driver ID, date and time of waste collection, etc., are compiled and stored for monitoring and management activities. The system is able to monitor the waste collection process and manage the overall process of waste management. It provides in time solid waste collection, vehicle tracking through the GIS database using GPS technology and also overcomes the disadvantages such as usage of minimum route, fuel cost, clean environment and available vehicle. The technologies used in the system are good enough to ensure the practical outcomes and perfect for green environment.
Solid waste collection minimizes and improves the efficiency by including costs per km – per hour to transfer the waste after collection from various locations.
The idea of the project was to implement Smart IT Solid Waste Management System that is efficient, environmentally sound and financially sustainable, which leads to significant improvements in cleanliness and hygiene conditions in Jabalpur.
Making use of the current IT services and solutions, we developed a MSW management strategy and action plan for collection, transportation, treatment and disposal of MSW.
The objectives of the project is to develop Integrated Smart IT – Solid Waste Management System from primary collection to final Scientific Processing and disposal of the MSW generated in the Jabalpur City. The development of infrastructure to keep the city clean and green with the help of a technology which up keeps the social and environmental aspects of the city. This will pave way for growth of city in a sustainable manner.
Following is the SCP SWM project description:
SMART WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (SWMS)
Waste management is a basic requirement of ecologically sustainable development. It will be a comprehensive programme optimising waste collection, transport, and disposal—along with activities to prevent, recycle, and draw energy from waste.
Smart bins, RFID and GIS solutions will be used to optimize processes along the entire value chain of solid waste management.
Data on all operations transmitted to a Central Command and Control center (where other municipal services will also be monitored) will facilitate sector reform.
The solution will improve public heath, optmise government resources, and support environment sustainability
Context of Implementation
Jabalpur Municipal Corporation (JMC) is responsible for providing municipal and civic services, which includes but not limited to the collection, segregation, transportation, treatment and disposal of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) generated in the Jabalpur city of Madhya Pradesh.
JMC needed a way for refining the solid waste management services in Jabalpur city. For meeting this objective, JMC has established a collection & transportation system through private sector participation. Jabalpur Municipal Corporation (“JMC”) has been in the forefront in implementing reforms aiming at improved service delivery that is qualitative, reliable, and sustainable. Solid Waste Management is the priority area of service delivery and JMC has been making continued efforts in improving Municipal Solid Waste Management in Jabalpur for the past few years.
Jabalpur Smart City Limited has built and operating a waste to energy plant at Kathonda for disposal of municipal solid waste for the 79 wards of Jabalpur Municipal Corporation. Collection and transportation of waste was required and a techno-commercial evaluation was necessary for arriving at a suitable project. This project; “Monitoring System for Garbage Collection from House Hold and Community Dustbin” is based on the collection and transportation of municipal solid waste using ICT components and integrates them into one system.
From private sector to public sector, to productivity and back office procedures, technology has pervaded every aspect of the business world. Increased access to the GPS, RFID tags, Bin level sensors (BLS) has given enterprises a way to directly monitor and manage their most important assets and services.
JSCL, therefore, through one of its major IT initiatives, implemented a RFID, BLS Tracking and Monitoring System integrated with current VTMS and other dashboards to monitor, manage and control Integrated SWM owned by them.
To manage, maintain and monitor the door to door collection of waste and holistic view of integrated SWM from source to end is one of the major challenges for departments. Hence an introduction of a system which can track, help locate and monitor and help in managing the door to door collection with RFID tags, semi underground bin management with BLS and the jobs carried out the by department such as VTMS and Waste to energy plant using GPS and dashboards is an important requirement.
Details of Solution
Things (Embedded devices) that are connected to Internet and sometimes these devices can be controlled from the internet is commonly called as Internet of Things. In our system, the Smart bins are connected to the internet to get the real time information of the smart bins. Managing the smart bins by monitoring the its status and accordingly taking the decision. There are multiple bins located throughout the city. These bins are interfaced with micro controller based system with IR Sensors and RF modules. Where the IR sensor detects the level of the dust in bin and sends the signals to micro controller the same signal are encoded and send through RF Transmitter and it is received and decoded by RF receiver at the Central System and an Internet connection is enabled through a Wireless SIM cards. The data has been acknowledged, evaluated and processed in the cloud, which displays the status of the waste in the bin on the GUI on the web browser. 250 RFID reader have been deployed across the city. Using Bin Level Sensors (BLS) and RFID tags door to door collection of waste can be monitored and controlled by central system along with VTMS and Weigh bridge systems in Jabalpur.
Scope of Implementation
The scope of implementation included supply, installation and implementation of Web based tracking and monitoring system with RFID, BLS based combined with integration with existing systems with JSCL.
The primary scope of implementation included:
End-to-End Solution to implement and to provide Support Services & Maintenance.
- Implementation of “Door to Door Collection Monitoring System”
- Supply and installation RFID tags and readers.
- Design and integrate Door to Door Tracking and Monitoring System
- Implementation of “Bin Level Sensors and Bin Monitoring System”
- Supply and installation of BLS on existing SUB‟s
- Design and integrate Bin monitoring system
- Integration with Vehicle Tracking Monitoring System (data feed access provided by JSCL)
- Integrating data feed from Waste to energy plant. (data feed access provided by JSCL)
- Sizing of Hardware, software and network devices required in the data Centers for using the Integrated SWM.
- Supply & Installation of hardware (servers), software and network devices required in the data Centers for using the Integrated SWM.
- Design, Development, Supply, and Deployment & Implementation of Web Based Application software integrated with GPS, RFID devices, weighbridge application, Existing VTMS and Waste to Energy Module and complaint management modules.
- Maintenance of RFID & BLS devices and replacement of devices in cases of damage, new vehicle or any other change.
- Maintenance of web based application for Integrated SWM., during and after warranty period.
- Provide resources for support, maintain and administering the system.
Following are the innovative characteristics of the project:
- Smart Application for SWM Resource Plan:Single point availability of general city wide information on Wards, households, roads, urinals, etc.mapped on GIS portals with access to any citizens is necessary for efficient SWM. Such information would help in precise estimations of solid waste generation and optimum allocation of resources through GIS (Geographic Information System)-based analysis
- Sensor Enabled Smart Bins: The smart waste approach consists of associating a physical waste with digital information. Using smart sensors such as ultrasonic sensors can monitor the amount of waste in the bins and transfers this information to the control rooms. Such sensor collects the data, evaluates the filling level of the bins and provides the information to the private operator engaged for collection and transportation of waste.
- GPS Enabled Vehicles: GPS has been deployed on vehicles involved in collection and transportation of waste and the real time movement can be monitored through a centralized control room. Such GPS enabled mapping tracks the vehicular movement as per the designated hours of operation. Furthermore, these GPS systems enable the identification of vehicles that have broken down during operations and hence enable the routing of stand-by vehicles or closest collection vehicles.
- RFID Tags on Each Household: These tags read the information about each household and collection vehicles through installed RFID at each household. It will send alert to the SWM collection resources. An RFID tag consists of a microchip (which can be reduced to the size of a point and can store data) and an antenna (which is printed, etched or stamped onto a substrate). The tag can be stuck on, printed on or incorporated into a product, an animal or a person, providing a unique identifier for each.
- Smart Grievance Portal for Citizens:This would promote the usage of mobile phones via smart mobile applications or SMS facilities to enable the citizens to lodge complaints and hence promote civic governance. These mobile based applications informs the users about the timings of collection of waste, authorized personals, and even enable them to pay the monthly user charges. These applications would increase the collection efficiency of waste as well as the user charges. Hence these applications would increase the accountability of the private operators to the citizens.
- Analytics:Accurate projections on total waste generated, waste type and identification of high waste generation areas enable effective planning and management of solid waste management services. Use of analytics during events with large citizen involvement such as festivals and fairs ensures smooth collection and transport of waste
- Integrated command and operations Centre:Leverage integrated command and operations Centre to monitor city services on real-time. Improve/synchronize maintenance activities to reduce downtime and improve maintenance effectiveness
The Intention is to strengthen the Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) collection system in the area of urban local body. It is the responsibility of Local self-government body to provide all the amenities to its citizens and fulfill the basic needs of infrastructure- water supply, sewage system and management of municipal solid waste. Of these three basic services, Jabalpur has successfully pioneered in the field of Municipal Solid Waste Management. Before the implementation of Door to Door garbage collection system it was normal practice to throw household waste open on the street from where it was collected by sweepers in handcarts for the disposal in nearby containers. This resulted in overall filthy & dirty appearance of the street as well as around the container spot. After the implementation of daily Door to Door garbage collection system in the morning hours, it has now become the practice of every citizen to store the household waste temporarily in dustbin till Door to Door garbage collection vehicle arrives. This has made a good improvement in the overall scenario. Sense of good hygiene and awareness towards environment are visible. Door to door collection is adopted in the entire city, which has resulted in efficient collection of waste, reduction of littering, foul odour and unaesthetic appearance of bins.
SWM system being employed by various other Indian cities require complete coverage of door to door and community garbage collection, better tracking of movement of trucks collecting garbage, monitoring of garbage bins and information of weight of garbage collected and dumped.
For smooth and seamless operation, this would involve least human interference with use of latest technology. A crowd of up-to-date technologies can resolve diverse complications in SWM system. These include:
- VTMS: Vehicle Tracking and Monitoring Systems employing GSM/GPS/GIS technology can monitor movement of garbage trucks across the city premises. Sophisticated VTS systems have built in route planning and vehicle rostering features to ensure efficient use of vehicles and staff for coverage across the city.
- RFID: RFID technology can do handshake between garbage truck and waste collection bins at the time of collection. It can also do the handshake between truck and garages/dumpling yards.
- Weight Sensor: Weight Sensor mounted on waste collection truck can monitor weight of garbage collected by the truck.
- Weighbridge: Garbage dump yard can employ Weight Bridge to measure the weight of truck before and after garbage collection trip. This can ensure additional check on garbage being collected and dumped.
- IOT: Internet can be used to transmit information from trucks and dumping yards to Central Control System seamlessly. A host of technologies are available today including 4G, 3G and GPRS.
For Jabalpur city, the complete project costed at Rs. 6.94 Crore. The diverse technologies listed above can be stitched together, along with a reliable funding method to create a flawlessly successively efficient SWM system.
Tracking and monitoring of Household waste collection and Community Bins.
Agency – Tech Mahindra.
Out of 2.50 lakh houses 27000 have been tagged.
To be completed by January, 2018.